With the month of November just around the corner, many City supporters will be planning fireworks display with their family and friends for this weekend or the days around Bonfire Night itself on 5 November.
City want to try and spread the word about fire safety in the lead up to this period to keep all of their fans out of harm's way during this special time of year.
The Bantams have joined forces with the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service to run a campaign to help educate the general public with the aim of ensuring everyone has a risk-free bonfire season.
Members of the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, along with children who have unfortunately suffered burns in the past, attended last Saturday's Wolverhampton Wanderers home match to help kick off the campaign (please see main picture).
Russ Hepton, Bradford District Commander for West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Unfortunately every year our crews deal with the reality of some individuals not taking bonfire night and fireworks seriously. To reduce the risks we encourage residents in Bradford to attend organised displays and bonfires. It’s safer, better for the environment, and everyone has a great time.”
The best way to stay safe and take extra care is to attend an official organised event rather than celebrate at home or a friend’s house. But for anyone who still chooses to hold their own bonfire celebrations, here is some advice to keep your guests safe and avoid a visit from your local firefighters:
- Keep bonfires small and manageable and build them away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and bushes
- Never use flammable liquids – paraffin or petrol – to light the fire
- In case of an emergency, keep buckets of water, the garden hose or a fire extinguisher ready
- Make sure your fireworks conform to British Standards BS 7114, EN 14035 or EN 15947
- Keep fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time
- Light the firework at arm’s length using a taper or fuse wick and stand well back -never return to a firework once it has been lit
- Never give sparklers to a child.
Fire safety is very important to Bradford City given the obvious events of its past - please stay safe this bonfire season.
Further safety pointers can be found in the poster below.
Bonfire Safety Poster link