Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Accrington Stanley 1 Bradford City 1

8 September 2012

Accrington Stanley 1 Bradford City 1

The Bantams headed back over The Pennines with a well deserved away point from their trip to Accrington. A second successive large away following witnessed Parkinson's men pick up their first away point of the season.


The first half saw City completely dominate their hosts, creating many more chances and seeing much more of the ball than Paul Cook's side. Kyel Reid almost opened the scoring on 5 minutes when he lashed a swerving shot over the bar when Zavon Hines' cross made its way to him just inside the area.


Zavon Hines was the next to try his luck, when he stung the fingertips of Stanley stopper Ian Dunbavin after neatly turning his marker on the edge of the area.

City should've taken the lead in the 17th minute when Hanson's flick on from a Gary Jones pass sent Hines racing through on goal. Hines' low shot was brilliantly tipped against the post by Dunbavin.


The Bantams' threatened once again, when Hanson's header back across goal was almost met for a tap in by the on rushing Will Atkinson. City were attacking with great intent in the opening stages but just couldn't find the net, despite several early openings. Zavon Hines in particular was looking lively in the opening period, giving Stanley left-back Michael Liddle a difficult time.


Hines continued to threaten early on in the second period, as he almost latched onto the end of a Hanson flick on, and he almost turned provider for a James Hanson chance, but the big man failed to force a shot.


As the second half grew older, Accrington gradually came back into the game and looked more threatening in possession. Romauld Boco was teed up for a shot that sailed narrowly over McLaughlin's bar, and moments later Irishman Padraig Amond gave Stanley the lead after tapping home Will Hatfield's low cross from close range.


In the 83rd minute substitute Alan Connell almost snatched an equaliser when he came close to bundling home Gary Jones' low cross. A minute later though, Connell scored his first goal for the club to equalise in front of City's travelling supporters. The former Swindon man latched onto Hanson's knock down to sublimely lob Ian Dunbavin from 30 yards.


City pressed late on in search of a late winner with Reid supplying a flurry of crosses toward James Hanson. Gary Jones' low freekick was almost looped over Dunbavin first time by Alan Connell, but the ball lands on the roof of the net. The afternoon's super sub almost grabbing a fantastic late brace.


Advertisement block