Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wigan 0 Bradford 0 City 4-2 pens

30 October 2012

Wigan 0 Bradford 0 City 4-2 pens

Bradford City are through to the Quarter-Finals of The Capital One Cup after a sensational giant killing of Roberto Martinez's Premier League outfit Wigan Athletic at The DW Stadium. Backed by a massive support of 5,000, The Bantams won the tie securing their SEVENTH straight penalty shoot out victory.


City were rescued by the linesman's flag after only 10 minutes when Latics' skipper Ivan Ramis was pulled back for an offside decision against him after he had headed home Jordi Gomez's free-kick.


Jordi Gomez himself was inches away from giving his side the lead shortly after; Ronnie Stam's cross was nodded down at the back post by Mauro Boselli and Gomez hit an acrobatic volley narrowly over the bar from around 10 yards out.


The Bantams began to get thoroughly involved in the attacking play and Nahki Wells volleyed a yard or so over after Meredith's cross had picked him out following some neat passing play.


City had two penalty appeals turned down when James Hanson and Stephen Darby went down under challenges from Ben Watson and Adrian Lopez respectively.


Matt Duke made a fantastic save on the stroke of half time to keep Wigan at bay; an angled ball forward from the left hand side picked out the run of Gomez who volleyed towards goal from inside the area and Duke was on hand to deny him.


Early in the second half Callum McManaman signalled the hosts' attacking intent when he carried the ball into the area, but when he found an opportunity to shoot he was forced to slice his shot wide under pressure from James Meredith.


Will Atkinson wasted a decent chance to force Ali Al-Habsi into a save when he scuffed his shot wide from inside the area after Hanson had knocked down Darby's throw into his path.


Ronnie Stam's crosses were causing chaos in City's area and on this occasion his cross bounced dangerously across the area before being scooped over the bar by the head of Danny Redmond.


Zavon Hines, whose pace and trickery was keeping Wigan on their toes, single handedly conjured up City's best chance of the game. He received the ball in his own half and carried the ball forward unchallenged; he got into the area and stepped away from Ben Watson but his resulting shot was denied by the reactions of Al-Habsi at his near post.


Wigan were becoming dangerously close to snatching a late winner; Maloney picked out Fraser Fyvie to slice a shot wide from inside the area and with City temporarily short on numbers at the back, Mauro Boselli had time and space to shoot from an angle but he hit his firm effort straight at Duke.


The tie went into Extra Time and Wigan did all the early running with Duke denying Boselli once more and Gomez volleying wide.

Into the second period of Extra Time, and it was still the hosts who were pressing for that elusive goal; Watson's incisive pass put Gomez through on goal but the former Barcelona youth player could only stab his effort wide of the mark when he really should have scored.


McArdle headed over from a Gary Jones free-kick and that was the last of the action as the tie headed to a penalty shoot out.


City remained composed throughout, and Shaun Maloney blazed over his spot kick for Wigan, before Duke saved from Gomez after Doyle, Jones, Darby and Connell had tucked their own away neatly, to send The Bantams through to the Quarter-Finals of The Capital One Cup!


Advertisement block