Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bradford City 1 York City 1

13 October 2012

Bradford City 1 York City 1

A slow start from Phil Parkinson's men saw them go a goal behind in the first half to Ashley Chambers' wonder strike, but following Zavon Hines' solo effort to equalise City could've snatched all three points in the latter stages


City were presented a decent chance when James Hanson flicked on a Stephen Darby throw-in into the path of Alan Connell who half-volleyed narrowly over the bar on the turn.


Nahki Wells capitalised on Jamal Fyfield's hesitancy minutes later when he charged down his attempted clearance to race through on goal, his resulting shot though wasn't enough to properly trouble visiting stopper Michael Ingham who held well.


Despite The Bantams having the better of the chances in the first half it was the visitors who took the lead in stunning fashion. Jon Challinor sauntered forward from right back and his shot was blocked into the path of Ashley Chambers who side footed a superb volley over the reach of McLaughlin to send the 1,400 travelling supporters into raptures.


Five minutes into the second half Daniel Kearns was denied a goal by an alert save from McLaughlin. The visitors led a promising counter attack and the ball was worked toward the Peterborough United loanee who curled towards goal from 20 yards; The Bantams' stopper plucked superbly out of the air to deny him.


On the 57th minute substitute Zavon Hines scored a superb individual goal to level the scores. Former York City full back James Meredith brilliantly rode 3 tackles to make progress down the left hand side and find Hines who charged menacingly into the area away from former Bantam Scott Kerr before cutting inside to fire low past Ingham.


A few minutes later City almost grabbed the lead through Garry Thompson. Nahki Wells' looped pass found the substitute in space just inside the area; he couldn't have caught his shot any better but he was denied by the post.


York were at sixes and sevens at the back after Clarke Carlisle had gone upfield to join an attack; Nathan Doyle threaded a delightful through ball to send Wells through on goal. The Bermudian confidently attempted a repeat of his chipped finish against Shrewsbury Town in December, but his effort bounced agonisingly wide of the post with Ingham beaten.


Both teams had chances late on and Wells could've stolen the points for his side in the last minute when he cleverly flicked Thompson's low cross towards goal, but his effort rolled narrowly wide in front of the despairing Kop.


A point a piece probably a fair reflection of the game, as York's bright start in the first half combined with City's recovery following Hines' equaliser was enough to warrant a share of the spoils for each team.


Advertisement block